Getting the right look and feel for your wedding takes work and effort. You also need to make sure all the elements fit and work well together. Many brides in the United States report the need to put together the perfect wedding; as many as 63% say they feel the pressure to do this, according to WeddingWire’s 2017 Newlywed Report.
Getting the right table linens may not be the first thing people think about when it comes to designing the best wedding but it can make a real difference in the look of it. For example, there are a lot of tablecloth options. From fitted tablecloths to faux burlap tablecloths, you can totally change up the look and feel by simply getting a different type of tablecloth.
With that in mind, let’s look at 5 ways the right table linens can improve your wedding theme:
- Pick the look of your tables. Not everyone wants fitted tablecloths on their tables at their reception, and some people skip the tablecloths altogether. If you have interesting or otherwise cool looking tables, you may not want to cover them up with any kind of fabric, though that doesn’t mean you can’t utilize some table linen to spruce up the look (see #2 below). However, if your tables are coming from a rental company, or otherwise are not super special on their own, then you are probably going to want to go with tablecloths.
When it comes to the design of your tables, the cloth you pick will provide the foundation of the look you want. The design will depend a lot on how much you want your tablecloths to be the focus of the look of your table. If you are looking for ornate patterns (such as Damask), or fitted tablecloths with unique designs, you should follow them with more simple napkins and other decorations. Too much in the way of design can make your tables look busy.
- Look at table runners. These are great if you are going with a more simple design for your tablecloths, or if you’re not planning on using tablecloths at all. Table runners can have a big impact on the look and feel of your tables -- when used with a simple tablecloth, the runner will become the center of the design. You can use the color of the table runners and the color used for the table cloth to make any kind of statement you want to make. Whatever style you want for your tables, you do need to make sure they are pressed perfectly so that they can lie as flatly as possible on the table. Also, unlike when you are getting fitted tablecloths, you have options when it comes to the width of your table runners.
- Think about your centerpieces. If you have amazing centerpieces, and want those to be the main focal point of your table, then consider putting them on a table runner, or choosing a tablecloth color and style that won’t detract from the look of your centerpieces.
You do not want both your table linens and your centerpieces to be the center of attention, so you’ll need to make sure they work together to give you the look you want that matches the theme or style of your wedding.
- Do not forget the napkins. The napkins you pick will also have an impact on the look of your tables. You should get ones that match either your tablecloth, the table runner, or your centerpieces. In many cases, the right napkins can really tie the look of the table together. They can even be a bridge between the style of the tablecloth, table runner, and centerpieces.
- You can give your napkins a job. Another way to use your napkins to further augment the theme and style of your wedding is to put your place cards into folds in the napkins themselves. In other words, you can “give your napkins a job” (besides just wiping mouths). You can turn your napkins into works of art by using techniques from origami but you do not have to go so ornate; sometimes the best look is a simple one that works with everything else on the table.
When planning a wedding, there is a seemingly endless list of details to consider and get right. While the list toppers are setting a date, finding a venue, and picking the right cuisine. After you have selected the right theme for your wedding, details such as getting the right table linens becomes more important. Getting the right ones can advance the look you want for your special day.